Locations of visitors to this page Bama Girl In SoCal: Things I want to do before I turn 30

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Things I want to do before I turn 30


Do you have one of those running mental lists in your head? I have one, and it's entitled, "Things I want to do before I turn 30." I was reminded of my list by Dating Dummy's latest post about a birthday card he got when he turned 30.

I remember being in my early 20's in college, thinking I had ages to accomplish everything I wanted in life. I actually cried on my 20th birthday because I realized that I was now in my 20's--the decade when a lot of people get their first real job, get married, and start having kids. That seemed very foreign and scary to me!

Awhile back I did a 5 year plan which included getting married, living in a real house, and getting a dog. I've somehow managed to accomplish those goals. I really thought I'd be the last of all my friends to get married. I was so independent, but somehow everything just fell into place when I met my husband.

So now, yes, you guessed it--I have one more thing left on the list for when I am 30. I always said I wouldn't want to have kids until I was 30 (like that was middle-aged or something.) So, now that 30 is just one year away, I guess it's time to think about that one a little more.

I've never been one of those girls who wanted to get married and pop out some kids right away. I don't fawn over every baby I see. (You can ask my friends about that one. They think I hate small children.) I've always been more comfortable around teenagers than little babies.

But, the nearer I get to 30, the more loudly the proverbial Biological Clock is chiming away! It's starting to seem like something I want to do. I feel like it's now or never, and I don't like the idea of never. I'm starting to see the charm in screaming babies. I am starting to think that Pottery Barn kids has some cute stuff. I'm starting to check out the patterns on baby strollers and crib bumpers, etc. I was never like this!!

So, as I turn 29 this year, who knows? This might be the year I experience morning sickness and other horrible maladies. I'll keep you posted.

(By the way, the picture above is of one of my friend's babies, who was a week old yesterday. I personally think she's the cutest baby I've ever seen. )

Blogroll Me!